CAREER PERSPECTIVES ON THE END SARS MOVEMENT FROM STUDENTS

Students used their future career paths to create a perspective on how they can help people in this movement.

Psychologist perspective:

Without a doubt, what is happening to the civilians in Nigeria is disheartening and could inflict trauma to the young people endangering their lives to dismantle the injustice but also restore their nation. Mental health is not a taboo and is not something we can turn on or off, especially living in the 21st century. Therefore, As a psychologist, I will grant myself to help the victims, take care of their mental health through my support. Mental health  is important. It is a vital part of shaping us into becoming adults because if we don’t face it, it will impact how we think, or cope. I will be conducting interviews, group therapy and other psychological resources/activities to help the civilians in Nigeria.

- Fatima Ismail


Doctor perspective: 

As a future doctor I believe support and comfort is what any individual looks for. With the incident that recently occurred in Nigeria, the protest highlights the effective leadership, prior to the fact that youth are no longer ignoring what's happening and are mindful of this unprecedented history. The youth aren't safe anymore as a lot are being harassed, extorted, raped, kidnapped, injured and other criminal activities . These blatant acts of disobedience shouldn’t be disclosed so openly. Not to wish for more issues/concerns like this in the future, but with my role I could provide service to victims that are in serious condition as any other individual looks for. -Bethany Akerele


Social worker perspective:

In the perspective of a social worker, people are not only suffering physically but mentally as well because they are having a traumatic experience seeing their people having to suffer from something so harsh. Being a social worker, I will help them when seeking advice and trying to get help they need. But also I can help them if they feel like they want to sue the people that did those things to them and I will help them by transferring them to lawyers which will help from a legal standpoint. I will also not only like to help here in the United States. I would like to go around the world and try to give the assistance that people try to seek and are not given based on different circumstances. - Noelia Vicente


Nurse practitioner: 

The injustice going on in Nigeria is unsettling and needs to be dealt with. Especially the cruel physical abuse and torture that is happening to the citizens by the police. With my help, I can provide service to take care of victims harassed by the SARS, and acquire all that they need. I can also be there to order tests and prescribe medication if necessary. - Yandeh Samura


Lawyer perspective:

As a civil litigation lawyer, my main focus is on protecting and representing the rights of citizens. In this case, what is going on in Nigeria is endangering the well-being of the citizens and in effect the country as a whole. By using my career choice I will benefit the cause tremendously. I will represent the people in court and ensure that they get the proper representation and outcome. - Melissa Vicente


Popular Posts