Read About: Hesley Keenan, Teacher at Validus Preparatory Academy High School

    

    My name is Hesley Keenan and I am a teacher at Validus Preparatory Academy where I teach Global and U.S. History, with a focus on our special education population. I am a graduate of Hunter and City Colleges where I earned M.A. degrees in Adolescent Education and in The Study of the Americas. Within the next two years, it is my goal to pursue a doctorate in American Studies or Black/Ethnic Studies. Currently, I am going into my fourth year at Validus where it is my goal to expand our curriculum to inspire and promote literacy and transferable skills that will lead to a life after high school.

    As a child growing up in Brownsville Brooklyn, I questioned why I lived in such despair. These thoughts continued to permeate my psyche leading me to write my M.A. thesis, “From Tulsa to Ferguson: Redefining Race Riots and Racialized Violence” which examined racial cleansings under the guise of “so called” race riots at the turn of the 20th century. This research has fueled my desire to promote others toward the same introspective thought. In the upcoming year I will be expanding my high school initiatives by further mentoring young men and women in a program called the “Talented Tenth” based on W.E.B Dubois’ ideology of upliftment. In addition, it is my expectation to push the envelope of my after school post production program toward action civics. Students need to be able to tell their stories through their lens to provide an accurate depiction of their lives and the things that matter to them as people of color. These initiatives are geared toward increasing our student knowledge of self. Too often, we as a community settle for “others” to act on our behalf, rather than creating avenues that lead toward our success. My goal is to prompt our students to challenge the ideologies that has led to an overwhelming level of mental slavery and reliance on goods and services that they do not have any control over.

    I am proud of my work here at Validus Preparatory Academy and the students who have grabbed the reins to push leadership and cultural awareness, especially in our society’s racial climate. Without them there would be no me, so I rely on their fortitude, strength, passion, and inquisitive voice to drive the discourse of improving their communities which entail will make them stronger individuals of change. The revolution of change needs to be led by a group unafraid of sacrifice with the stamina and diligence of our ancestors.

Popular Posts